AQF Quality Control Blog

Our Quality Control Blog Has Moved. Visit The New Site!

Testing and Standards

How to comply with EN 71 regulation when importing toys?

AQF_Jouets : réglementation EN 71 selon le Quality Control Blog

This article is an introduction of the EN 71 regulation and how importers can comply with the regulation.

Non-compliant toys are dangerous and have high financial consequences and affects the brand image. Toys importers often ask their inspection or Lab testing companies for advice. Indeed, the responsibility remains with the importer but it’s recommended to get advice from experts. 

What is the EN 71 regulation?

The EN 71 regulation is part of the CE directive and regulates the safety of toys for children within the European Union. Compliance with EN 71 is mandatory. It consists of 13 parts:

  • EN 71-1: Mechanical and physical properties
  • EN 71-2: Flammability
  • EN 71-3: Specification for migration of certain elements
  • EN 71-4: Experimental sets for chemistry and related activities
  • EN 71-5: Chemical toys (sets) other than experimental sets
  • EN 71-6: Graphical symbols for age warning labelling
  • EN 71-7: Finger paints
  • EN 71-8: Swings, slides and similar activity toys for indoor and outdoor family domestic use
  • EN 71-9: Organic chemical compounds – Requirement
  • EN 71-10: Organic chemical compounds – Sample preparation and extraction
  • EN 71-11: Organic chemical compounds – Methods of analysis
  • EN 71-12: N-Nitrosamines and N-Nitrosatable Substances
  • EN 71-13: Olfactory board games, cosmetic kits and gustative games

European Union notified bodies are entitled to certify EN 71 regulation compliance. In addition to the laboratory testings, inspectors also perform on-site tests during a product inspection that are related to the EN 71 regulation.

How do importers comply with EN 71 regulation?

Importers are legally responsible for the goods they import. This legal responsibility cannot be transferred to any other party, including testing laboratories, distributors or Chinese suppliers. To comply with EN 71, importers have to:

  • make sure that the manufacturer has fulfilled their obligations before placing a toy on the market
  • make sure that the importer’s name and address is marked on the toy or packaging
  • make sure that the compliance of the toy is not affected by the conditions of storage or transport
  • carry out sample testing of marketed toys
  • investigate and record any complaint made in relation to the toy and keep a register of complaints, non compliant toys and recalled toys
  • bring non-conforming toys into compliance and inform the authorities if there is a safety risk
  • keep a copy of the technical documentation for a period of 10 years
  • identify the other economic operators in the supply chain

Read more about toy safety when importing from China with this interesting article from Chinaimportal.

And you: how do you ensure EN 71 compliance for your imported toys?

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *